In the media
23 June 2013
Enca
LHR is threatening legal action against the Tshwane Municipality for the eviction of residents of an informal settlement in Bronkhorstspruit.
The homes of about 200 families were demolished and their belongings confiscated by officials last week. This is the second time LHR will be taking action against the municipality over the same issue.
|
23 June 2013
The Sunday Independent
The arms deal commission has strangely retained services of two top Gauteng advocates even though it is not facing any legal action.
Insiders close to the commission, which is probing the R70 billion arms procurement transaction, were taken aback by the retention of Advocate MacCaps Motimele and Advocate Busani Mabunda.
Advocates on a retainer charge between R5 000 and R16 000 a day, depending on their seniority, experience and the contract itself.
|
22 July 2013
Pretoria News
The apparently unlawful demolition of shacks in the Road Reserve community in Atteridgeville has left more than 100 people, including women and children, homeless in the middle of winter.
The residents recently told the Pretoria High Court the actions of City of Tshwane officials had left them destitute.
“We have nowhere to go, the children are unable to attend school and the winter weather has made our circumstances particularly unbearable,” Magalies Izwelibanzi Makubane, one of the ousted residents, told the court.
|
21 June 2013
PE Herald
Refugees living in Nelson Mandela Bay had reason to celebrate and enjoy World Refugee Day yesterday as they received news that the Port Elizabeth High Court had ordered that the Eastern Cape's only Refugee Reception Centre be reopened.
|
20 June 2013
EnCA television
June 20 - It is an issue that's close to the hearts of many South Africans, land reform and President Jacob Zuma is the first to admit that in this regard the legacy of apartheid still remains with us.
|
8 June 2013
Voice of the Cape
Up to 200 Somalis marched in Cape Town on parliament on Friday morning to deliver a memorandum urging the government to act against the ongoing xenophobia attacks on them around the country. "We need protection - simple as that," one of the organisers, Abdullahi Ali Hassan, told AFP. Amid widespread poverty and unemployment, frustration in South Africa's run-down neighbourhoods often boils over into anti-immigrant violence.
|
7 June 2013
City Press
Xenophobia attacks in South Africa have not ended, Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR) have said.
“It has been five years since (2008, when) coordinated attacks exploded across the country and led to the deaths of 64 people and the displacement of hundreds of thousands more,” the head of LHR’s strategic litigation unit, David Cote, said today.
“Although the violence itself only lasted for a few weeks, the lingering fear has never quite gone away. This is partly due to the fact that these attacks never really ended.”
|
7 June 2013
SW Radio Africa
Ongoing incidents of xenophobic violence in South Africa have raised concerns about the safety of foreigners in that country, with the government being criticised for dismissing the fact that there is a real problem.
In the past few weeks there have a number of unrelated, xenophobic attacks across South Africa and human rights groups have warned that this is part of an ongoing problem.
|
7 June 2013
Times LIVE
Xenophobia attacks in South Africa have not ended, Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR) said on Friday.
"It has been five years since [2008, when] co-ordinated attacks exploded across the country and led to the deaths of 64 people and the displacement of hundreds of thousands more," the head of LHR's strategic litigation unit, David Cote, said in a statement.
"Although the violence itself only lasted for a few weeks, the lingering fear has never quite gone away. This is partly due to the fact that these attacks never really ended."
|
19 May 2013
Sunday Independent
The arms deal commission has been accused of intimidating witnesses by demanding to know how they obtained their documents. The commission warned witnesses that it would not accept unlawfully obtained evidence and that they must state whether their information was classified.
The commission - which was set up by President Jacob Zuma to probe the controversial multibillion-rand arms procurement deal - is still reluctant to subpoena the ANC or its officials.
|